This interesting film from our archives shows busy workers at the gas bottling plant in Qajjenza near Birzebbuga in the early 1960s.
The installation was opened by the Malta Gas Board in 1959, replacing the Marsa Gas Plant which was closed for good.
During this year a new gasholder in Gzira was completed and an undersea pipeline was installed at Qajjenza-Birzebbugia
to be able to transfer Liquefied Petroleum Gas from ships to gasholders.
In 1960, the first 148.97tons of LPG. arrived in Malta on board the ship Susanne Tholstrup.
The amount was enough for three weeks supply in 15 kg cylinders.
In 1974, the supply of gas through the ‘town gas system’ closed down for good and the Malta Gas Board was absorbed by Enemalta a few years later.