The Great Siege Monument in Valletta commemorates the Great Siege of Malta in 1565.
Located opposite the Law Courts in Republic Street, the monument is the work of Maltese sculptor Antonio Sciortino.
It first saw the light of day on 8 May 1927, in tribute to the fallen of the hostilities between Malta, then under the Knights of St John, and the Turkish armada. Standing on a thick granite base, the monument consists of three bronze figures.
The female figure on the left represents Faith and carries a papal tiara in an outstretched hand, while the one on the right, which carries a mask of Minerva, represents Civilisation. The central figure is a muscular male representing Valour, and holds a sword in his right hand, which points down to the centre of the monument’s base, and a shield in his left hand.
The Great Siege Monument appeared on three Maltese stamps issued in 1956, 1962 and 1972. It also featured on the 50 cents Maltese coin that was in use between 1972 and 1986.
The monument was restored in 2010 and has been called ‘one of the most emblematic sculptures on the island’.