This rare footage gives us a glimpse inside what was one of Britain’s most secret military bases in Malta.
The ‘high security weapons storage facility’ at Fort Mosta was in use when Vulcan bombers, spearheading Britain’s nuclear deterrent, were based at RAF Luqa.
Fort Mosta was one of three forts built along the Victoria Lines, the other two being Fort Bingemma and Fort Madalena.
Construction started in 1878 but the Victoria Lines fortifications were abandoned in 1907.
During the Second World War, Fort Mosta became an ammunition depot and was transferred to the Royal Air Force during the Cold War.
Fort Mosta is still used as an ammunition depot by the Armed Forces of Malta. It falls under the responsibility of the Ammunition Depot Guards, part of the Ammunition and Explosives, Storage and Disposal Squadron of the 3rd Regiment AFM.
The Dog Section of the Malta Police Corps is also housed within Fort Mosta.
Since it is still used by the army and police, the fort is not open to the public.