St George’s Square has been described as ‘the heart’ of Malta’s capital city.
It has witnessed most of the greatest moments in Maltese history over the decades, from parades to mark the end of wars to election victory celebrations, from important royal visits to all-star rock concerts.
The square has played host to kings, queens, emperors, presidents and prime ministers as well as soldiers, sailors, boy scouts, girl guides, Maltese brass bands and leading international orchestras.
The George Cross was formally presented to Malta in the centre of St George’s Square on 13 September 1942.
For a time in the 1980s the square was used as a car park before being beautifully restored into an open space for the enjoyment of Maltese people, families and tourists in 2009.
St George’s Square is located in front of the Palace, the seat of government in Malta for hundreds of years and the office of the island’s Governors and Presidents.
Apart from the Palace, which flanks the square on its south-eastern side, three beautiful baroque buildings flank the three other sides including the Main Guard on the north-west side.
This building was originally built by the Knights, and it housed the Palace guards. The portico was added in 1814, topped by the British coat of arms carved in stone.
Today, St George’s Square is a ‘people’s square’ with art exhibitions, flower festivals and dozens of musical events being held there, as well as the Changing of the Guard ceremony on the last Friday of every month.